Please familiarise yourself with our copyright information before purchasing our patterns or downloading the free and sample charts. This protects our artists and designers and enables them to keep creating beautiful embroidery patterns and textile art.
It is important to remember that the cross stitch patterns and artworks on this site were developed and created by real people with families, and bills, and taxes just like you. When we all engage in the creative and commercial space with integrity, it really does make the world a better place.
All patterns sold and distributed on this website are protected by international copyright laws and may be used by one person person only.
Digital copies of the patterns (including free and sample charts) may not be distributed to other people in any form — this includes (but is not limited to) photocopies, scans, photographs, websites, emails, social media, and smartphone apps.
Commercial use of patterns
We don’t mind if you use our patterns to create finished handcrafts, home decor, clothes or art pieces to sell, provided you acknowledge Cross Stitch Patterns Online on the product label and/or product description. We also appreciate a link back to original product page in our store.
If you aren’t quite sure what this all means, here are a few examples:
It is perfectly fine to:
- Show your cross stitch project to your friends at embroidery club.
- Post photographs of your finished cross stitch (or work-in-progress) on social media groups and online forums.
- Gift finished pieces to loved ones.
- Share store links to our free patterns on social media, so your friends can download the free patterns for themselves.
- Stitch one of our designs, then sell it as a finished piece with a clear reference to Cross Stitch Patterns Online on the product label or product description.
- Buy a pattern as a gift to someone special.
It is NOT ok to:
- Print the patterns and give to your family or friends.
- Share digital copies of our patterns to Facebook Groups or other social media.
- Photocopy our patterns and distribute at your embroidery club.
- Email digital copies of our patterns to other people.
- Use our patterns to make kits or new charts to sell.
Please respect our artists and designers and help us continue to develop great cross stitch patterns at affordable prices.
Copyright of original artworks
We respect the professional work and intellectual property of other people and only create patterns from:
- Our own drawings and photographs.
- Paintings, photographs, and vintage patterns that are in the public domain.
- Images that we have paid for an extended content licence.
- Artists that we have paid or have given us written permission to use their work.
If you are an artist and would like to promote your work on this website please get in touch. We pay our artists an agreed usage fee as well as a percentage of sales. We are especially interested in visual artists who create cultural and tribal pieces about their local history and culture.
Copyright of our website content
Except as permitted by the Commonwealth Copyright Act 1968 (as amended) no part of this website may be reproduced, adapted, performed in public, or transmitted in any form by any process (graphic, electronic or mechanical, including further copying, recording, taping or by a storage and information retrieval system) without the express written permission of Cross Stitch Patterns Online.
Requesting permission to use our content
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org to request permission to use our images, photographs, and content.
We strive to protect the copyright and intellectual property of our artists and designers, and perform thorough due diligence to ensure that our designs do not infringe on someone else’s copyright or legal rights.
If you believe an image or design displayed on our website is being used inappropriately, please send a polite email to email@example.com with the following information:
- Your name, street address, phone number, and email.
- Description of the image or design you believe has breached your copyright/legal rights, including our website URL where it is displayed.
- How the image/design is breaching your copyright or other legal right.
- Confirmation that you are the legal owner of the disputed image/design.
- For agents, evidence of your authorisation to act on behalf of the copyright owner.
We are serious about copyright, and if your complaint is genuine will ensure the issue is resolved quickly and respectfully.